Tuesday, December 23, 2008
Today marked 47 years I've lived on this earth, and despite the usual ups and downs of life, I have to admit so far it's been a beautiful ride. Much of the reason for this is the fact that I'm happily married to the love of my life, and being able to share yet another birthday with him - and our four loving pets, Spyder, Zoe, Andy and Venus - makes my birthday even more of a celebration.
Sunday, December 7, 2008
Despite the cold and blustery winds, around 30 ladies showed up today for the Women's Mountain Bike Clinic held at Lake Crabtree. In the park's free-play field area, participants learned cornering, balance and log-crossing techniques and then headed into the bike trails to put their newfound skills to practical use on guided rides. I saw many smiling faces, and hope the women who came out found the clinic useful and left inspired to ride their bikes more often with all the new friends they met today. I also hope that those of us volunteering as leaders were able to offer helpful advice, encouragement and support to the ladies as they learned and practiced techniques to make mountain biking a safer and ideally more enjoyable endeavor.
Tuesday, December 2, 2008
This Thanksgiving was a very special one. For the first time in our nearly 14 years together, Steve and I were able to share the holiday with both sets of parents at our home. Hopefully the table setting was deserving of the outstanding meal Steve prepared for us, including a multitude of yummy vegetable dishes to accommodate my vegetarian lifestyle.
Despite their somewhat lackluster expressions - probably a result of being unprepared for the camera's surprise appearance - our parents all got along beautifully and everyone had a delightful visit, even though due to various and sundry circumstances this was their first meeting ever!
Following dinner, it was time to kick back, relax and enjoy each other's company...
During this season of thanks, there are many things for which I'm grateful. It would be impossible to list them all, but of note, I'm thankful for:
- The unconditional love and joy my pets bring into my life
- My comfortable and cozy home
- A loving family and precious friends
- Gainful employment at a meaningful job I enjoy, working with wonderful people
- My health, sight, hearing, and having the strength and ability to do the many activities I enjoy
- The courage and compassion of people who rescue, protect, care for and speak out on behalf of animals
- Having enough food to eat, warmth and shelter
- Living in a country where things many people would view as luxuries beyond imagination are considered simple conveniences or even necessities
- Being able to share all these things with the Love of my Life, my husband Steve