To all my friends who raced the Burn 24 Hour Challenge this weekend, my apologies as I realize this post is a day late and a dollar short for you folks. But since a lot of these tidbits still hold true for me now that I am re-entering the world of mountain biking - despite the fact that I'm easing into it with just a handful of regular cross-country events at first - I wanted to remind myself of them, if nothing else...
Top 10 Things I Learned From Solo 24 Hour Mountain Bike Racing:
10. You CAN stay awake all night if you have to.
9. An encouraging word is worth everything.
8. Coffee is good.
7. A lot of amusing woodland critters come out to play after the sun sets.
6. Good night lights are worth the money.
5. Few things beat fleece.
4. People who have been awake all night get awfully friendly and happy once the sun rises.
3. Never underestimate the importance of a really good saddle.
2. You owe your support crew, big-time.
1. Nothing is impossible if you want it badly enough.